Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City expanded its partnership with HealthMine, a technology company providing member engagement solutions, to build a rewards program for the payer’s individual and family Affordable Care Act members. The program focuses on encouraging preventive health actions, such as annual wellness visits, flu shots, and breast cancer screenings, by offering the ability to earn rewards in the form of gift cards to national and local retailers
- The program has also continued to evolve to provide additional features, including a digital health risk assessment delivered through the program application to help Blue KC better understand their members’ health status and risks.
- Members interact with the program through a mobile app, web portal, and live customer service support, she added. HealthMine will build an incentive and rewards program for the insurer’s ACA members similar to the one for its Medicare Advantage members, giving the ACA members incentives to complete health actions and digital health risk assessments.
- Creating incentive programs for ACA plan members is especially important because these members tend not to seek routine medical care as they previously may not have had health insurance coverage, by rewarding preventive visits, encourage members to establish a relationship with a provider, this relationship is a launching point for the member on a journey of engagement in managing their health.
- By June 30, an estimated 41% of U.S. adults had delayed or avoided medical care due to concerns about Covid-19, according to data from the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control.
- As the Covid-19 vaccine becomes more widely available, health plans need to be able to communicate with its members, especially the younger and healthier members that tend to have ACA plans, to give them information about vaccine availability and safety.