The US witnessed not only the ravages of the pandemic but a host of lawsuits and settlements in the healthcare industry. Starting from a health insurer suing a cloud vendor over a data breach to charging allegations over health groups that could invalidate thousands of regulations and anything in between.
Here are some of the latest headlines:
- An alliance of health groups sued HHS on March 9 over a trump administration rule that was called the “ Ticking time bomb”, which could invalidate thousands of health regulations.
- Sutter Health accused Sacramento, California-based system and won $575 million in antitrust settlement approval.
- Accellion, a cloud vendor, was accused by St. Louis based healthcare provider Centene over a data breach on March 11.
- Charges brought against UnitedHealth over cancer therapy were approved by the federal judge after he decided to move forward with the case.
- Colorado Hospital found itself at the receiving end of a class action lawsuit moved forward by a federal judge over unpaid off-the-clock work performed by the hourly staff.
- CEO of Michigan healthcare got a 15-year prison penalty for a $150 million healthcare duplicity scheme.
- Attorney General Dave Yost filed a lawsuit against Centene over misrepresentation of costs of pharmacy bills leading to million-dollar Medicaid overcharges.
- For illegal drug practicing, BCBS of Minnesota prosecuted Vyera Pharmaceuticals, filing a class-action lawsuit against their high price of an antimalarial lawsuit.
- Aetna alleged Menax of destroying $50Million evidence of overbilling the lawsuit.
- A new York vascular surgeon had agreed to pay $783K to resolve a fraudulent billing case
- Allergy and Asthma Associates of Virginia had agreed to pay $2.1 Million for settling charges of fraudulent billings.
- Former Maine housekeeping director filed a lawsuit for firing in retaliation for reporting staff and safety concerns.
- A lawsuit filed by UnitedHealthcare that accuses medical labs of operating a $100 million billing scheme will move forward after a judge denied some of the defendants’ motions to dismiss the claims.
- US Justice Department reached an arrangement to resolve an antitrust lawsuit against Geisinger.
- California nursing home was slapped a fine to the tune of $275million to settle accusations for favoring rich patients.