Excellus BlueCross BlueShield named James R. Reed chief executive officer of the $6.2 billion health plan and its parent company, The Lifetime Healthcare Companies.
- An Experienced Hand: Reed joined Excellus BlueCross BlueShield in January 1996. Prior to serving as president and CEO-elect, his roles included executive vice-president of marketing and sales and Central New York regional president. Reed has been serving as president and CEO-elect since July 2020 and succeeds Christopher C. Booth, who retired after leading the company since 2013.
- Strategic approach: “Jim is strategic in his approach, has a strong sense of mission, and brings a wide array of experience to the job,” Marianne Gaige, chairwoman of the company’s board of directors, said.“ He has been a leader in this company for 25 years and has been instrumental in shaping the company’s future in today’s ever-changing health insurance industry.”
- Fosters company’s culture: As President and CEO, he assumes responsibility for the entire operation, including fulfilling the company’s mission and fostering the company’s corporate culture. “Our focus remains on providing access to high-quality health care to as many people as possible at the price they can afford,” Reed said.
- Experience that molded him: Over the course of his career, Reed has been involved in the community through various non-profit organizations. He serves on multiple committees and boards in the regions, including CenterState CEO, ROC 2025, Greater Rochester Chamber of Commerce, and the BlueCross BlueShield Association.
- Qualifications: Reed earned his bachelor’s degree in business administration and his master’s degree in business administration from Le Moyne College in Syracuse NY. Reed, age 50, and his wife reside in Skaneateles, NY, and have three children.