Molina Healthcare, Inc. reported the first quarter of 2021 GAAP earnings per diluted share of $3.89 and adjusted earnings per diluted share of $4.44, a 33% and 47% increase, respectively, compared to the first quarter of 2020.
- Total Revenue hikes up: Total revenue was $6.5 billion for the first quarter of 2021, an increase of 43% compared to the first quarter of 2020. The higher total revenue reflects increased membership in Medicaid and Marketplace, and includes the impact of acquisitions that closed in the second half of 2020.
- 47% increase in adjusted earnings: Net income for the first quarter was $228 million, or $3.89 per diluted share, compared to $178 million, or $2.92 per diluted share in the first quarter of 2020, a 33% increase in earnings per diluted share. Adjusted net income for the first quarter was $260 million, or $4.44 per diluted share, compared to $184 million, or $3.02 per diluted share in the first quarter of 2020.
- Q1 Ratio as compared with the prior year: The consolidated MCR for the first quarter was 86.8%, compared to 86.3% for the first quarter of 2020. While Marketplace MCR increased to 77.3% compared to 72.3% for the first quarter of 2020, Medicaid MCR plummeted down to 87.5%.
- Futuristic expectations: The Company now expects its full-year 2021 premium revenue to be more than $24.0 billion, compared to the previous guidance of more than $23.0 billion, an increase of over 30% from the full year 2020. Total revenue guidance is now expected to be more than $25.0 billion, compared to the previous guidance of more than $24.0 billion.
- Molina continues its strategy of succession: “We are very pleased with our first quarter performance as we continue to demonstrate our ability to produce excellent financial results while substantially growing top-line revenue and managing through the ongoing impacts of the pandemic,” said Joseph Zubretsky, president and CEO of Molina Healthcare. “The Ohio contract award and the acquisition of Cigna’s Texas Medicaid business are recent examples of the continued execution and success of our growth plan and strategy.”