In April 2021, five important payers have expanded and enhanced themselves by acquiring and signing deals. Here are five deals involving health plans that have been announced this month.
- Cigna Sells off Texas Medicaid to Molina: According to an April 22 news release Cigna is selling its Texas Medicaid contracts to Molina Healthcare for $60 million, The purchase price for the transaction is approximately $60 million and Molina intends to fund the purchase with cash on hand. The transaction is expected to be immediately accretive to Molina’s adjusted earnings per share. The transaction is subject to receipt of applicable federal and state regulatory approvals and the satisfaction of other customary closing conditions. It is expected to close in the second half of 2021.
- Evernorth Purchases Telehealth company MDLive: Evernorth, Cigna’s health services business completed its acquisition of telehealth company MDLive on April 19. MDLive’s platform will be part of an end-to-end solution that’s meant to harness virtual options to change the way patients interact with the healthcare system as well as their providers, Evernorth said.
- BCBSA deals with VillageHealth to mitigate Kidney disease: Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota and DaVita’s VillageHealth signed a value-based agreement for members with chronic kidney disease or end-stage kidney disease. The value-based agreement is designed to improve health outcomes and reduce the total cost of care for eligible Blue Cross members.
- BrightHealth procures Zipnosis : Health insurance startup Bright Health has acquired telehealth company Zipnosis. The combination of the two companies reflects a shared vision: lowering costs and providing greater access to quality, affordable, personalized care.
- Vermont Network joins hands with MVP Healthcare for Advance Medicaid plans: The University of Vermont Health Network in Burlington and insurer MVP Health Care partnered to offer a Medicare Advantage plan. The unique partnership will offer a local doctor-influenced Medicare Advantage plan to meet older adults’ specific health care needs in the region.