At Cigna, diversity and inclusion is not only the right thing to do, but it’s also a core building block of our business strategy. This commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) has been recognized by Diversity Inc with Cigna ranked 33 among the top 50 companies for DEI in the nation.
- A discussion about the company’s diversified progress: Cigna CEO sat down with Diversity Inc to discuss actions the company is taking to advance diversity and inclusion. “Cigna’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is at the heart of our mission to improve the health, well-being, and peace of mind of those we serve,” he said.
- The role played to bring a change in society: Cordani shared that companies have a role to play in bringing about societal change, and their mission and values should help focus these actions. From this perspective grew Cigna’s Building Equity and Equality Program, a five-year initiative to expand and accelerate efforts to support diversity, inclusion, equality, and equity.
- Pathbreaker to remove inequity in the system: Cigna wants to move the needle on longstanding inequity in the health care system that was further exacerbated by the pandemic. To do so, we focus on community partnerships and local solutions – most recently by supporting the needs of minority- and women-owned businesses in Los Angeles in partnership with Ervin “Magic” Johnson, as well as in South Florida, Houston, and Memphis by providing free flu shots, PPE, and other resources to help curb the spread of COVID-19.
- Promote fair play and opportunity: Cordani shared that Cigna is intentional about promoting fair pay and opportunity. By benchmarking compensation by role, monitoring for potential disparities, and in the hiring process, Cordani said, the organization has eliminated the practice of asking for applicants’ compensation history.
- Approach towards long term difference: “Reflecting the highly personalized nature of health care, our approach is grounded in making a difference one person at a time,” he said. “We will continue to challenge ourselves to do the hard work it takes to chart a path forward that contributes to creating the kind of world we want to leave for our children”.