In a bid to provide better health and make healthcare more affordable for everyone by taking costs out of the system, ChristianaCare and Highmark Health have announced a 10-year collaboration. Through a new joint venture company, the two industry leaders are combining their expertise and capabilities to transform healthcare by creating a new model of value-based care that is continuous and data- and technology-driven. The new model will be a radical departure from the transactional, fee-for-service model that underpins much of American health care.
- ChristianaCare and Highmark Health have committed to a joint venture, with oversight by a board equally represented by leaders from both organizations. In addition to developing solutions that benefit their own patients and members, the organizations expect that many of the innovations developed through the joint venture will have nationwide impact. The venture does not represent a merger or an exclusivity agreement between ChristianaCare and Highmark Health. Both organizations will continue to operate independently.
- To begin with, two engines will power the creation and delivery of new models of care. The first is the Solution Design Center, which will create data- and technology-driven solutions to improve health outcomes, efficiency and experience for patients, members and care providers. The partnership’s most immediate impact will be in Delaware, where ChristianaCare and Highmark’s Delaware health plan affiliate are already trailblazing value-based care.
- The second key component is the Center for Virtual Health, which develops, tests and deploys virtual capabilities for primary and specialty care that improve patient access, experience and outcomes while reducing the total cost of care. ChristianaCare has been at the forefront of data-powered care management since the launch of its award-winning CareVio platform in 2013, and the pandemic has highlighted its even greater potential
- Highmark Health chief operating officer Karen Hanlon said: “As two nationally recognized innovators, it makes perfect sense to leverage our combined expertise and resources to improve health outcomes, decrease costs, streamline processes between receiving and paying for care, and ultimately reimagine the whole health experience.”
- Both Highmark Health and ChristianaCare are pioneers in value-based health care, which supports a focus on whole-person health care, unlocking new opportunities to achieve health equity, address social determinants of health and build healthier communities. This new model of care incentivizes outcomes and efficiency — and takes patient care to a new level.