Many payers, providers, and vendors are specialized in Artificial Intelligence technology to address various healthcare challenges.
- The pandemic has reinforced some of the better benefits of advanced value-based care agreements. As fee-for-service reimbursement opportunities plummeted, providers began to recognize the value in consistent, capitated payment models such as global payments.
- Apixio, Centene aimed to leverage artificial intelligence to broaden the evidence base that the payer uses for value-based reimbursement.
- Anthem Blue Cross announced its new health plan, payer chose to support members’ navigation, personalizing, and streamlining member engagement through an artificial intelligence application called Blue Connection.
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield in Ohio (Anthem) developed their Anthem Skill, a voice-activated assistant available through Alexa, to make it easier as well as for supporting medication adherence.
- Over the coming years, it will be a great test whether the artificial intelligence programs satisfy the intended purposes as payers pursue these and other objectives.